Skip to main content

Our Film Won Second Place

Alhamdulillah,


Our first film ever, an Islamic Short Film, titled Surat (translate: letter) won second place. This short film is made for short movie competition for Indonesian students in Middle East and Africa.



The film is made almost without budget (only 1000 yemen riyal or $3.5) and without any proper tools. None of us had the camera, in fact the first takes we tried using phone camera, and we almost rented one. Thankfully the organization we study in that is Ibnu Abbas Scientific Foundation lent us a camera.


Our computers also not high end, it's slow to process the captured films. We also didn't have the tool to capture audio, instead we were usi ng our phones.


The timing of working also couldn't be more worse. It's in Ramadhan month, which all people sleep from dawn to afternoon here in Yemen. So we can only took pictures hour before dusk, because at night we don't have any proper lighting.


Besides all that, I'm really glad that this film is acknowledged, in fact the jurist gave us the highest point for story, originality and content. We lost at sound and aesthetics of pictures.


Anyway, I hope you'll take your time to look at our first film ever here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u0E7pX6v1jw


The story is a little bit sad but enlightening, about a man who has repented from his dark past and pursuing knowledge in Yemen, it turns out that it's not easy as he had expected.


So watch it, and please send me a feedback afterwards.

Check out the log of our work here:
http://whyyemen.blogspot.com/2017/06/im-making-short-film.html?m=1





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bagaimana Video Games Hampir Menghancurkan Hidupku

Bagaimana Video Games Hampir Menghancurkan Hidupku Oleh: Tengku M. Laksamana ~Tolong di share ya~ Tulisan ini sengaja saya buat sebagai social awareness akan bahayanya video games. Saya sebagai mantan video games addict tahu persis bahaya ini dan tahu apa yang saya bicarakan. Kecanduan video games sangat berbahaya, bisa merusak tatanan keluarga dan kehidupan secara umum. Tetapi sampai sekarang, kecanduan video games belum dianggap sebagai penyakit sehingga belum ada treatment khusus secara medical. Sehingga orang-orang kesusahan saat ingin sembuh dari kecanduan video games. Begitupula bagi keluarga yang ingin anggota keluarganya sembuh dari kecanduan ini tidak tahu harus kemana mereka mencari, padahal mereka-mereka ini di Amerika Serikat  Bagaimana dengan di Indonesia, lebih besar kemungkinan para addict tidak mendapat perhatian apapun dan tidak dimengerti siapapun, hingga mereka kembali ke dunia virtualnya untuk melepas penat melarikan diri dari kenyataan. Terus menerus lingkara

Living in Yemen: The People

I've stated briefly in my previous post  what is like living in Yemen  that the Yemenis are hospitable people. In this post I'm going to talk great length about it and also my experience with them. As an Indonesian, born and raised in Indonesia, we have always taught that we are very kind and hospitable. When someone in trouble we're going to help, it's okay to talk with stranger, always say the three magic words, friendly with our neighbors and so on. I know and believe that we are kind people, but comparing to Yemeni I'll say that we still have a long way to go. Below I list the trait of Yemenis as I have observed and have day to day interaction with them. There are some differences between the Yemenis who live in the north and the ones that live in the south. I will also list some of the annoyances too. Good traits: 1. HUMBLE  I think I should put this on top of the list even though my list isn't intended to rate which one is better. It just that the

Why I Moved to Yemen

It was a big question in my big family, even now it's still hard for them to fully accept why. I was working as an area manager in East Borneo for a national NGO in Indonesia. I had a wife and two children, I had a car and a house. My life was good, secure and normal, so why - as my father said - throw it all away for something that is unknown. When my brother was getting married, my big families were invited and I knew that there would be a judgement day for my decision, and I wasn't wrong. All the family members were questioning my decision, at that time my parents already gave up and asked them to help sway my decision away. One of my uncle told me why would I go to a violent place like Yemen in a mocking gesture, so I answered him back in a stoical gesture "Because it's a faith". I knew the answer will incite more mocking, of which I deliberately chose. So my uncle said, "that is not an intellectual answer!". So I said to him, in front of al